This Map of Portland Maine was published in 1856 to accompany the Portland Directory. The Directory is a listing of the names addresses and occupations of Portland’s citizens. This map shows the basic street layout of the city including the wharves along the old “original” waterfront on Fore Street. The “new” Commercial Street was built as a bridge and wagon road to connect the wharves. The railroad followed,laying tracks to service the freight and other commercial interests of the day. Note the water “behind” Commercial Street.Many of the big brick buildings on the waterfront are built on the fill and debris of the “great fire” of 1866.
Hand colored by John R. Barrows
Archival reproduction print from high resolution scan. 17"x 22"